Max Verstappen's reported frustration over Red Bull's decision to axe Liam Lawson comes after suggestions he's “secretly” already said goodbye to the Formula One team.
It was widely reported on Tuesday that Red Bull have decided to demote 23-year-old Lawson just two races into the season.
The New Zealander's disastrous start has seen him fail to score a single point having made the step up from sister team Racing Bulls this season.
Dutch publication Telegraaf claimed that his former team-mate Yuki Tsunoda will be called up to replace him.
However, four-time consecutive world champion Verstappen has reportedly taken issue with the bold decision, which is expected to be confirmed soon.
According to a report by GPblog, Verstappen told Red Bull earlier in the week that they should give the Kiwi more time, only for team principal Christian Horner and Helmut Marko to ignore his wishes.
The saga only adds to Verstappen's growing frustration at Red Bull, having had a difficult start to his title defence this season.
The 27-year-old has been grappling with a number of issues with the RB21.
He voiced his frustration that it was "too slow" at the Chinese Grand Prix. At the moment, the Red Bull doesn't match up to the speed of the McLarens and doesn't seem likely to be a championship contender, although it's still early days.
Despite Verstappen's efforts to make the most out of a challenging situation, sitting only eight points behind championship leader Lando Norris, his growing dissatisfaction with Red Bull may have now reached a tipping point.
Former F1 driver Robert Doornbos even suggests the Dutchman has "secretly said goodbye" to Red Bull, having already made up his mind to depart.
Verstappen recently claimed he’s content with the Milton Keynes-based team, but his compatriot Doornbos is convinced that he’s gearing up to leave.
"Given this whole situation, Max Verstappen is a little too relaxed," Doornbos commented on the TV show Formule 1 Cafe. "I think Max has already secretly said goodbye to the team."
Verstappen's contract runs until 2028 but there are whispers of an exit clause that could see him leave his team of 11 years as soon as next season, if he ranks lower than third in the Drivers' Championship after a "significant" portion of the 2026 season.
It comes after Horner revealed to the press that Verstappen's current contract includes "a performance element".
Speculation had been rife about Verstappen potentially leaving Red Bull throughout 2024.
The team's diminishing dominance on the track and the growing friction between his father, Jos, and Horner, contributed to that.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff last year didn't try to hide his desire to snap up Verstappen as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton.
He instead ended up opting for youngster Andrea Kimi Antonelli as George Russell's new partner.
But while Hamilton's shoes have been filled for now, a potential swoop is certainly not dead in the water.
Antonelli's adaptation to F1 remains to be seen and Russell's contract is due to end after 2025. That means Mercedes could renew their interest in Verstappen ahead of the major F1 rule changes in 2026.